Header graphic for print
E. coli Blog Surveillance & Analysis on E. coli News & Outbreaks

South Carolina Child Dies of E. coli

Two South Carolina schools are taking precautions after a toddler died from complications associated with E. coli, and officials have confirmed that a sibling of one of the toddler attends one of the schools.

Myles Mayfield, 2, of Greenwood, died Sunday night at Greenville Memorial Hospital from medical complications associated with E.coli, coroner Sonny Cox said. Myles died from hemolytic uremic syndrome, a condition associated with E. coli that can lead to kidney failure.

On Monday, Greenwood District 50 officials informed parents and guardians of Springfield Elementary School students in Greenwood that DHEC was investigating a possible Shiga toxin-producing E. coli infection at the school, according to the district website. The school posted information on its website and social media and made robocalls to parents. Springfield officials learned of the possible infection on Monday after dismissal, so the letter could not be sent out until Tuesday.

Investigators have not yet said how Learning Vine Child Development Center is connected to the toddler’s death, but it appears Myles attended the development center.