According to the Fresno Bee this morning, the Big Fresno Fair has agreed to pay $2.2 million to a Fresno girl who got sick from a strain of E. coli after visiting its petting zoo in 2005. Marler Clark worked with Fresno attorney Warren Paboojian — who represented Angela Malos, the girl who was sickened by the bacteria — informed Fresno County Superior Court Judge Donald Black of the settlement in a Friday hearing. Angela, who is now 6 and in the first grade, was 2 when she became ill after visiting the zoo with her family. She will live with the effects of the bacteria exposure for the rest of her life, Paboojian said.

"This has altered Angela’s life," he said after the hearing. Angela suffered strokes and kidney failure leading to dialysis. She recovered and is fine mentally, said her father, former KMPH (Channel 26.1) anchor John Malos, but the infection permanently affected her motor skills, requiring a full-time aide at school. She also has very limited vision in her right eye from the bacteria.

For more information on past Petting Zoo and Fair outbreaks, visit www.fair-safety.com.