The Independent reports that the worst outbreak of E.coli food poisoning in Britain for almost a decade has claimed the life of a five-year-old boy.
The death of Mason Jones is the first caused by the bacterium, which has swept through 38 schools in south Wales and infected 161 people, most of them children.
Nine children were in hospital yesterday receiving specialist treatment for kidney failure or other complications. A total of 27 people have been admitted to hospitals.
All were said to be stable or improving.
The outbreak was linked with cooked meat from John Tudor & Son, Bridgend, a supplier to local schools, who had been discovered using inadequate disinfection procedures and risks of cross-contamination.