Four cases of E. coli infections have been identified by Arizona health officials as possibly linked to beef that a California meat packing company recalled Monday.
Of the four cases, the Arizona Department of Health Services says two people required hospital treatment but have recovered. The beef was processed by United Food Group of Vernon, California, and shipped to retail distribution centers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon and Utah.
One Utahn became ill after eating hamburger meat contaminated with the E. coli bacteria, the state Department of Health reported on Tuesday. The victim was treated and has recovered, said department spokesperson Charla Haley, adding that no other cases are being investigated at this time. Supervalu Inc. has recalled ground beef sold under the Moran label in its Albertsons’ stores in Utah, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming.