The Monitor-Index Reporter reports that the man who tested positive for E. coli in Randolph County has now tested negative for the bacteria. According to the Randolph County Health Department. Janet Murray, Environmental Health Supervisor for the Department said he was “retested and he and his family are fine.”
From the article:
Murray said because the case was isolated it was difficult to track down exactly where he contracted the bacteria, however it is believed the organism came from a hamburger from a local fast-food restaurant. He originally tested positive on October 8.
“If we had gotten another case, it would have been a lot easier to track,” Murray said. “We then could have narrowed it down and figure out if it was somewhere he ate.” E. coli can be contracted a number of ways from uncooked ground beef and unwashed vegetables to unpasteurized apple cider. Murray said the original alert was put out to remind restaurant employees of the dangers of E. Coli.
Surprisingly, Murray said it has been a number of years since a Randolph County resident was known to be infected with the 0157:H7 strain of the bacteria.
“It’s kind of a quandry…you can get it from just about anywhere,” Murray said. She warned that unpasteurized cider, a popular fall-time drink, can be a source of the bacteria. Most orchards in Randolph County pasteurize their cider.
Murray urged residents not to panic but encouraged them to take precautions. To avoid getting E. coli residents should wash their hands regularly, wash fresh vegetables, and order burgers that are well done.
“Watch children carefully and make sure that are taking all the precautions,” Murray said. Children are more susceptible to the bacteria and it can oftentimes lead to fatal results by shutting down their kidneys.