Minneapolis Channel 9 Reports that when 7-year-old Emma Heidish became sick earlier in October, her symptoms began with stomach cramps.

“At first, we thought it was the flu,” recalled Spencer Heidish, the girl’s father.

Emma Heidish was one of several who were sickened by E. coli after a visit to the petting zoo at Dehn’s Pumpkins in Dayton, Minn. When her symptoms progressed to diarrhea a week and a half ago, her parents’ concern grew after they started to see blood.

“When you get this particular bug, it’s not something that you can just throw some Tylenol or Advil at,” Spencer Heidish said. “There’s no real quick answer for it. It has to work its way out.”

Three children contracted that specific type of E. coli, and Dehn’s farm has now closed off the livestock area with caution tape.

“Knowing my daughter, she probably interacted with every animal on the farm,” Spencer Heidish said.

Although the two other children recovered at home, Emma Heidish has already spent 9 days in Children’s Hospital, and she could stay there for two to six more weeks as she struggles with a form of kidney failure called HUS.

“She’s scared out of her mind,” Spenser Heidish relayed. “The toughest part for us as adults and parents is watching how scared she is.”