The Troy Messenger published a follow-up story on Mallory Chandler, a Troy, Alabama, toddler who became ill with an E. coli infection and HUS while she was on vacation with her family in late June. Mallory was recently released from the hospital, and The Messenger spoke with her grandmother, Linda Chandler, about her illness and hospitalization.

Where Mallory contracted E.coli, Chandler said probably no one will ever know.

“They thought it might have been from the pool, but I don’t really think that,” she said. “It could have come from anywhere. She could have touched something and then put her hand in her mouth. We just don’t know.”