In early December, two Effingham, Georgia, children were infected with E. coli. They are both now in a St Louis hospital and have only just recently been released from ICU.
2-year-old Christopher and 4-year-old Claire Lustig’s mother and uncle are staying with them in the hospital through their recovery. Christopher’s vision has been impaired as a result of the E. coli.
Although most E. coli infections are caused by eating undercooked meat, there is no clear reason as to how the two children contracted the bacteria.