A lawsuit was filed Thursday against Quincy, Massachusetts-based Stop & Shop, on behalf of an eight-year-old boy who became ill with a severe E. coli O157:H7 infection after eating ground beef purchased at a Manchester, New Hampshire, Stop & Shop.

The complaint seeks compensation for the family’s significant medical-related expenses, economic losses, and for Eric’s pain and suffering.

Eric consumed a hamburger made from ground beef purchased at Stop & Shop at a family barbecue. He subsequently became ill with an E. coli infection, experiencing painful abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. Twenty-four hours after being admitted to Concord Hospital, he was transferred by ambulance to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Eric developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a complication of E. coli O157:H7 infection, and spent 22 days in a pediatric intensive care unit at DHMC, undergoing several surgical procedures and eight rounds of kidney dialysis treatments after his kidneys shut down.

Eric’s medical bills to date total over $100,000.