SCNow.com recently interviewed Erica Sturkie, a Marler Clark client who became ill with an E. coli infection after eating contaminated spinach during the 2006 E. coli outbreak. The outbreak was traced back to spinach grown in the Salinas Valley.
“I worked out five to six days a week. I ran everyday — ate really healthy. I love spinach, so I decided I would just go on an all salad diet. Then I got sick,” Erica Sturkie said.
She spent more than two weeks in the hospital as a result. Doctors told her she had E. coli, but it was never confirmed as the culprit. Her lawyers said that was because the antibiotic she was given to treat it probably killed the bacteria before tests could be completed.