NPR recently interviewed Ken Costello, a Nebraska man who became ill with E. coli after eating contaminated spinach, and whose mother-in-law died after also becoming ill with a spinach-linked E. coli infection.
The hospital had not tested her for E. coli as part of their routine testing. Costello had to seek independent testing on the spinach that had made both him and his mother-in-law ill, and later killed her.
Spinach, tainted by E. coli bacteria, has reportedly made about 200 people in two dozen states sick. At least three people are said to have died from the outbreak.
The radio station also interviewed Seattle attorney William Marler, who is representing Ken and more than 90 other individuals who became ill after eating contaminated spinach, who stressed that addressing irrigation issues may go towards helping to alleviate the problem.
Lawmakers and advocates are demanding federal authorities do more to eliminate the contamination.