The Monroe County resident sickened by eating E. coli-tainted spinach is suing companies in California and Delaware for an illness that required a trip to the hospital.

It was reported in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle that Rochester lawyer Paul Nunes filed a complaint in U.S. District Court late Tuesday afternoon on behalf of his client, Patricia Ann McCoy of Pittsford, who alleges she contracted a severe gastrointestinal illness after eating a bag of Dole brand baby spinach she bought from Martin’s Super Food Store in Perinton on or about August 21st, 2006.

McCoy ate a number of spinach salads in late August, and on August 31st began experiencing abdominal cramps and diarrhea. McCoy alleges her symptoms worsened to bloody diarrhea and on September 3rd she went to Highland Hospital, where she received intravenous fluids and had diagnostic tests done. She left the hospital later that evening.