A two-year-old girl died in Scotland after contracting a strain of the severe stomach bug E. coli, according to Guardian Unlimited.

The toddler died over the weekend after being admitted to Glasgow’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children, suffering from what is understood to have been E. coli O157:H7. Locals confirmed her death this afternoon.

Two other children from the Dumfries and Galloway area, whose family had contact with the girl, also tested positive for E coli. Both children were admitted to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary at the weekend but have since been discharged.

The incubation period for E coli O157 is usually up to 14 days and symptoms can include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and fever.

A spokesman for the Scottish executive said: "We are aware of these cases and are being kept informed by the relevant NHS boards. Our thoughts are with the families of the young children concerned."

Dr Carol Davidson, director of public health at NHS Ayrshire and Arran, said: "Investigations into the source of the infection are ongoing, but at the moment we have no reason to believe that others outside the families affected and their contacts are at any increased risk. Our thoughts are with the families involved during this very difficult time."